SABHAL MOR OSTAIG, SLEAT, SKYE
Sept 2013 Mick Andrew
Address: Sabhal Mor Ostaig, Teangue, Sleat, Isle of Skye, IV44 8RQ
- Venue is on east side of A851 road about 2 miles north of Armadale, well sign posted.
- Built in 1998 and is part of Gaelic College/UHI.
- Capacity 95 on retractable seating rake, additional seating can be added on floor (stacking non-interlocking padded chairs) raising capacity up to approx 150.
- Mobile reception good. Wi-fi & payphone available at venue.
- Venue has a cashpoint. Hotel at Ardvasar (3 miles), hotel at Isle Ornsay (6 miles), General Store, petrol & café at Armadale (2 miles), other services at Broadford (15 miles)., Bank at Kyle of Lochalsh (25 miles). Meals can be obtained via College canteen, if arranged.
- Hall Dimensions: 9M (29’6”) wide x 16M (52’6”) long, seating rake reduces length to 10.6M (34’9”). Height above 5.82M (19’1”).
- Stage: staging rostra available, 6 units 1M sq @ 0.8M high.
- Décor: floor light wood laminate with Badminton Court markings, walls & roof – light wood clad. Upper wall behind stage is white.
- Get-in: good, through hall fire exit USR, single door, flat, right angle turn into venue 0.91M (3’) wide x 1.93M (6’4”) high. Approx 10M van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics good
- Blackout reasonable, all windows have blinds but slightly damaged.
- Heating by underfloor system, usually very warm.
- Upright Piano available. Venue has 6 smoke detectors, which can be isolated.
- Large A-frame ladder available. Also self wind-up extending cage lift.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in cupboard by entrance to hall. 63amp 3-phase and 32amp single phase sockets available in cupboard on Stage Right.
- Stage lighting 4 LX bars (2 on each side of venue), Zero88 24/48 Jester desk, 24 Zero88 Rack 6 patchable dimmers, 4 x Source 4 junior profile spots, 10 x 650w fresnels, 12 x Source 4 Par Cans.
- Sound – Concert PA system with Allen & Heath 24ch mixer, amps, speakers, monitors, microphones & stands, DI boxes, effects units, graphic EQ.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents or part dimmable downlighters, switches on SR side of hall or back wall.
- Downstairs changing rooms are used as dressing rooms
- Venue has college canteen kitchen.
- Separate backstage toilets available
- Bar organised for most events.