PORTNAHAVEN RHINNS HALL
Sept 2006 Mick Andrew
Address: Rhinns Hall, Portnahaven, Isle of Islay, Argyll PA47 7SG
- Venue is on RHS of A847 as entering village from Bowmore. Small car park available.
- Built in 1932 & upgraded in 1985. Originally a church hall from Mosspark, Glasgow & moved to Islay 1931/2.
- Capacity approx 200 if small stage used, 150 if performing on floor. Non-interlocking plastic stacking chairs & church pews.
- Mobile reception limited, payphone at shop in village (2 mins walk).
- Portnahaven has a small general store, post office, bistro and pub with limited opening times. Hotels and petrol at Port Charlotte (7 miles). Banks and other services at Bowmore (18 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 16.76M (55’) long x 9.75M (32’) wide. Height at side walls 4.27M (14’) rising to approx 7.62M (25’) at apex. Strip lights @ 4.34M (14’3”) height and 4 roof trusses @ 4.57M (15’) height.
- Stage: 6.4M (21’) wide x 3.05M (10’) deep (offset to Stage Right). Height above approx 3.66M (12’), height of stage 0.84M (2’9”). No crossover. Access treads off stage left & USR.
- Décor: floor light wood with Badminton Court markings; walls and roof cream with steel roof trusses.
- Get-in: reasonable, through FOH 2 sets of double doors with 90º turn. Flat, approx 20M van loading area to stage. 1.27M (4’2”) wide x 1.96M (6’5”) high.
- Acoustics slightly reverberant.
- Blackout partial. Windows have unlined thin curtains.
- Heating by infra-red quartz red-glow heaters.
- Upright piano available. Smoke Detectors unknown.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in lobby next to kitchen.
- No theatre stage lighting, but 6 non-dim dichroic downlighters on stage.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are fluorescents or 12v dichroic downlighters, switched at lobby by kitchen.
- Function/storeroom can be used as Dressing Room.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilets.
- Bar area FOH.