ACHARACLE, SHIELBRIDGE PUBLIC HALL
Nov 2006 Mick Andrew
Address: The Shielbridge Hall, Acharacle, Argyll PH36 4JL.
- Venue is on right hand side of A861 in middle of village, beyond general store & hotel as approaching from Strontian. Car park at venue.
- Built inter-war years and substantially extended in 1980’s & later refurbished.
- Capacity up to 160, interlocking stacking plastic chairs.
- Mobile reception variable. Payphone by Hotel (5 mins walk).
- Acharacle has a general store, hotels, post office and petrol. Nearest cashpoint at Strontian (12 miles), nearest petrol at Mallaig (37 miles) or Fort William, via Corran Ferry (34 miles). All other services at Fort William.
- Hall Dimensions: 7.01M (23’) wide x 14.02M (46’) long. Height at side walls 4.57M (15’) rising to 6.1M (20’) at apex.
- Stage: 7.01M (23’) wide x 6.1M (20’) deep. Height of pros arch 3M (9’10”). Height above stage 4.27M (14’) decreasing to 2.59M (8’6”) at back. Height of stage 0.89M (2’11”). Wings 4.42M (14’6”) SR, 0.76M (2’6”) SL. No crossover. Moveable access treads available. (Stage was original hall).
- Décor: floor wood laminate with badminton Court markings; walls light wood clad lower, light blue upper; roof white with blue supports. Stage has black walls, FOH tabs maroon.
- Get-in: through double doors at back of stage, straight, flat onto stage. Approx 5M from van loading area to stage. 1.12M (3’8”) wide x 2.08M (6’10”) high.
- Acoustics reasonable but slightly reverberant.
- Blackout reasonable.
- Heating by bar heaters run off £1 coin meters, as is hot water.
- Yamaha digital piano available. No smoke detectors
- No access equipment seen.
- Power: 80amp 2-phase supply in stage left wing.
- Stage lighting – 4 spotlights, Strand Act 6 dimmer and LX desk (analogue) nb this has possibly been upgraded since date of visit.
- Small PA system available – no details.
- Houselights are fluorescents switched in stage left wing.
- Community office in stage left wing can be used as dressing room
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.