CASTLEBAY HALL, BARRA
Aug 2009 Mick Andrew
Address: Castlebay Hall, Castlebay, Isle of Barra HS9 5UJ
- Venue is at top of Pier Rd up the hill from the shops and along road from Castlebay Hotel. Car parking on street.
- Built 2004
- Capacity approx 200 if stage used, up to 120 if performing on floor. Padded stacking chairs.
- Mobile reception on one network only. Payphone opposite hall.
- Castlebay has Bank & cashpoint, Hotels, café, Co-op, General Stores and petrol. Other services in Oban (via 5½ hour ferry).
- Hall Dimensions: 21.03M (69’) long x 7.93M (26’) wide. Height at sides 3.1M (10’2”) with central area at 3.4M (11’2”) high.
- Stage: 5.05M (16’7”) wide x 3.1M (10’2”) deep. Front edge of stage angled so depth is 2.14M (7’) at sides. Height above 2.64M (8’8”), height of stage 0.48M (1’ 7”). No crossover. Access treads at rear off USL.
- Décor: floor light wood laminate, walls light cream, roof white.
- Get-in: long – through main entrance, 2 sets double doors. Either up 9 steps or use disabled ramp (narrow with U turn & right-angled turn) – railings impede access for large items. Approx 30M from van loading area to stage. 1.6M (5’3”) wide x 2.06M (6’9”) high.
- Acoustics reasonable.
- Blackout partial, windows have light unlined curtains and no blackout in bar area at end of hall.
- Heating by underfloor system.
- No piano. 3 smoke detectors in hall.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer located in locked cupboard in Ladies toilets.
- No stage lighting – disco lighting only.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched downlighters & wall up-lighters. Switches in SL area near kitchen.
- No dressing rooms – kitchen is only available room nearby.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.
- Bar area available if arranged.