CARLOWAY COMMUNITY HALL
Dec 2002 Mick Andrew
Address: Carloway Community Hall, Knock, Carloway, Isle of Lewis HS2 9AU
- Venue is in middle of village on south side of main A859 road near church and adjacent to school and police station. Car parking on main road.
- Built 1980’s as add-on to existing house.
- Capacity approx 130 if stage used, up to 90 if performing on floor. Plastic, interlocking, stacking chairs.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone on main road (2 mins walk).
- Carloway has a hotel. Nearest petrol, convenience store and ‘no-charge’ cashpoint at Barvas (11 miles). Banks and other services at Stornoway (25 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 9.22M (30’3”) wide x 16.79M (55’1”) long. Height at side walls 4.19M (13’9”), rising to 5.28M (17’4”) at apex.
- Staging: 10 x 4’x4’x2’ high rostra available – makes stage 6.1M x 2.44M (20’ x 8’). No crossover. 4 step access treads exist.
- Décor: floor polished wood with Badminton Court markings; walls pine clad lower, white upper; roof white.
- Get-in: by fire exit, single door, straight, flat. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage. 1.07M (3’6”) wide x 1.98M (6’6”) high. Double door access exists through foyer (3 sets double doors & right angle turn).
- Acoustics good.
- No blackout – 8 skylights with no blinds.
- Heating by wall mounted electric bar heaters.
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in storeroom in foyer.
- No stage lighting.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switched by hall entrance in foyer.
- Lounge could be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.