SMAILHOLM VILLAGE HALL
Feb 2003 Mick Andrew
Address: Smailholm Village Hall, Smailholm, Kelso, Roxburghshire TD5 7PH http://www.smailholm-village.org.uk/
– Venue is in middle of village off B6397 road, west on north side of
road to Lauderdale. Small car park at venue.
- Built 1862 as local school. Converted to hall in 1972, refurbished and extended in 2001.
- Capacity up to 100. Stacking, non-interlocking, wooden chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable.
- There are no services in Smailholm. Banks, cashpoint, fuel, shops, cafes and pubs in Kelso (5 miles).
– Hall Dimensions: 6.6M (21’8”) wide x 10.33M (33’11”) long. Height at side walls 3.9M (12’9”) rising to 4.72M (15’6”) over centre.
- Stage area: 6.6M (21’8”) wide x 3.6M (11’10”) deep. 36 units of TopDeck rostra & frame staging system available @ 0.75M sq & 0.5M height & treads. Can make stage approx 3M x 5M. Height above stage area 3.7M (12’2”). Stage area can be divided from hall by partition. No wings or crossover.
- Décor floor polished oak, no markings; walls & roof are light yellow.
- Get-in: through side door of hall. Large single sliding door & set of double doors, 1 step 1.52M (5’) wide x 2.13M (7’) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout partial – windows have light yellow curtains.
- Heating by underfloor system.
- No piano. Smoke detectors in hall.
- 2 small A-frame steps available.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer. Distribution board located in foyer. Ring main on 32amp trip.
- Stage lighting – dimmable 12volt system with 50watt spots for basic stage light.
- Small PA system controlled from stage left corner – Peavey XR800F 9-2 mixer, AM1000 amp, 4 x small EV speakers on hall walls.CD player, hand-held and lapel radio mic. Induction loop fitted.
- Houselights are dimmable 12volt wall uplighters and roof lights. Switched at back of hall but dimmable from stage left corner.
- Store can be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen & lounge available.
- Separate toilet in backstage store.