DINGWALL TOWN HALL
March 2002 Mick Andrew
Address: Town House & Museum, 65 High St, Dingwall, Ross-shire
IV15 9RY. Town Hall, Church St, Dingwall, Ross-shire IV15 9SB
- Venue is on corner of High St & Church St in town centre – Town Hall main entrance is on Church St. No car parking at venue but town has car parks nearby. Venue has janitor.
- Built in 1733 as Town House on site of Tolbooth, remodelled in 1906 & 1925.
- Capacity up to 300 if performing on stage, approx 150 if performing on floor. Plastic, stacking, interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception good.
- Dingwall has all services.
- Hall Dimensions: 14.94M (49’) wide x 13.87M (45’6”) from stage edge to balcony overhang, with a further 3.66M (12’) depth under balcony. Height at side walls 3.96M (13’) rising to approx 6.1M (20’) at centre – roof is arched.
- Stage: 6.86M (22’6”) wide x 6.1M (20’) deep, includes apron depth of 1.75M (5’9”). Depth to back black 5.49M (18’). Height of proscenium (arched) 3.71M (12’2”) at sides. Height of stage 0.99M (3’3”). Height to LX bars 3.25M (10’8’). Wings 2.82M (9’3”) SL, 2.59M (8’6”) SR. Crossover behind back black. Access treads off front of stage – both sides. Stage has set of black legs, borders, drapes & FOH tabs
- Décor: floor polished wood with 2 Badminton Courts marked out; walls wood panelled lower, cream upper; roof brown with cream/white support mouldings. Window curtains & FOH tabs dark blue.
- Get-in: (ranks highly as one of the most awkward in Scotland). Van loading on Church St (van has to move if vehicle needs to pass) through 3 sets double doors, up 25 steps & through single-width corridors, 3 right angle turns. Max turning circle for 2D objects 2.74M (9’). Approx 35M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics reasonable but slightly reverberant.
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by radiators.
- Upright piano available. 2 smoke detectors in hall.
- Small tallescope and wooden A-frame steps available.
- Power: 60amp 3-phase incomer behind stage & 100amp single-phase supply. Only 4 twin 13amp sockets in hall.
- Stage lighting rig – (possibly upgraded since time of visit), Tempus 30 2 preset desk, 30 Strand Tempus dimmers. 2 FOH LX perches and 2 FOH trapeze LX bars, LX1 bar and 2 flood battens on stage. Mix of old Strand profiles & fresnels – 14 profile spots, 12 fresnels, 6 floods & coda flood battens.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are dimmable wall lights or sodium’s.
- 2 dressing rooms backstage with separate toilets.
- Kitchen available downstairs.