GARELOCHHEAD GIBSON PUBLIC HALL
Sept 2005 Mick Andrew
Address: Whistlefield Rd, Garelochhead, Argyll G84 0AT
- Venue on LHS of B872 road through village as heading to Arrochar, near junction for Kilcreggan. Car Park available.
- Built late Victorian, upgraded/restored in 1999.
- Capacity approx 120 if stage used, 80 if performing on floor. Non-interlocking folding plastic chairs.
- Mobile reception good.
- Garelochhead had a general store, cafes, cashpoint, shops & hotel. Banks, petrol & other services in Helensburgh (8 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 12.73M (41’9”) long x 8.99M (29’6”) wide. Height at side walls 4.11M (13’6”) rising to 5.44M (17’10”) over central area.
- Stage: 5.92M (19’5”) wide x 2.57M (8’5”) deep. Height above stage 3.17M (10’5”), height of stage 0.79M (2’7”). No wings. Crossover through back corridor. Access treads off Up Stage both sides.
- Décor: floor polished old wood, no markings; walls maroon red panelling lower, cream higher; roof – angled area white, flat top beige. Stage has black backcloth & side drapes & white overhead awning. Pros arch top maroon red.
- Get-in: good – through old FOH doors, straight, 2 steps, 2 sets double doors. Approx 15M van loading area to stage. 1.07M (3’6”) wide x 2.39M (7’10”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout – partial, all windows have lined curtains but arch window above door is uncovered, as are doors to backstage.
- Heating by radiators.
- No Piano. No Smoke Detectors.
- A-frame ladders available.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in downstairs boiler room with 100amp single-phase distro board in back corridor.
- No stage lighting rig, but domestic spots above stage.
- Small sound rig – 2 speakers & amp + mic tie lines.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents or up-lighters – switches at back of stage – USR.
- Dressing Room downstairs & small backstage room at stage level.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet downstairs.