BEAULY PHIPPS HALL
March 2002 Mick Andrew
Address: Phipps Hall, Station Road, Beauly, Inverness-shire IV4 7EH
- Venue is on west side of Station Road (A862) just south of village centre, connected to library. Car park at venue. Venue has caretaker.
- Built 1903 by Henry Phipps (business partner of Andrew Carnegie).
- Capacity 196 if stage used, approx 130 if performing on floor. Non-interlocking, stacking chairs.
- Mobile reception good.
- Beauly has Banks & cashpoint, general store, hotels, café, Post Office, & petrol. All other services in Inverness (12 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 11.17M (36’8”) wide x 16.46M (54’) long. Height at side walls 4.75M (15’7”) rising to approx 6.7M (22’) at centre – roof is arched.
- Stage: 7.32M (24’) wide x 4.09M (13’5”) deep. Height above 3.96M (13’), height of stage 1.12M (3’8”). No wings or crossover. Access treads off stage right. Stage has back blacks and legs & borders. FOH tabs are red.
- Décor: floor polished wood with Badminton Court markings; walls dark wood panelling lower, light green upper; roof light green with mouldings & white support arches.
- Get-in: through front entrance, 2 sets double doors & right angle turn, flat. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage. 1.32M (4’4”) wide x 2.08M (6’10”) high.
- Acoustics slightly reverberant.
- Blackout reasonable, all windows have blinds and lined curtains. Only FOH doors have windows & no curtains.
- Heating by radiators.
- Upright piano on stage. No smoke detectors.
- Small extending ladder.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer. Lighting dimmer on 63amp single-phase supply. 2 x 32amp single-phase sockets in SR wing.
- Small stage lighting rig – Jands 12 channel 2 preset lighting desk, 12 channels Pulsar non-patchable dimmers, 2 FOH side LX bars, 2 stage LX bars, 6 650w CCT profile spots, 6 x 650w CCT fresnels.
- Small PA system – Mynob 16-4-3 mixer, Celestion & EMC amps, mounted Celestion speakers, graphic EQ, 6 mics & stands, CD player. Hard-wired multicore to FOH. Locked rack for sound equipment in SL wing.
- Houselights are up-lighters switched in SR wing or switched sodium’s (switches in main entrance lobby).
- Can use small hall upstairs as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets