EIGG COMMUNITY HALL
May 2015 Mick Andrew
Address: Isle of Eigg, Mallaig, Inverness-shire PH42 4RL
- Venue is approx ¼ mile up hill from the pier on road to The Lodge (Big House). Vehicles need a permit from Highland Council for transit to Eigg.
- Built in early 1900’s and upgraded & extended in 2005.
- Capacity approx 120 if performing on stage, up to 60-70 if performing on floor. Island population is approx 95. Benches & stacking non-interlocking plastic chairs.
- Mobile reception variable & limited for some networks.
- Eigg has a café/bar & small General Store at the pier. Cashback in Post Office (limited opening hours). Banks, petrol and other services in Mallaig (by ferry 75 mins – infrequent service).
- Hall Dimensions: 5.97M (19’7”) wide x 14.15M (46’5”) long. Height at side walls 2.41M (7’11”) rising to 4.41M (14’6”) at apex. 4 roof trusses @ 3.02M (9’11”) high. Ceiling is flat 2.4M (7’10”) high over back 3.8M (12’6”) depth of hall from back wall.
- Stage: 5.97M (19’7”) wide x 2.44M (8’) deep. Height of stage 0.42M (1’4”). No crossover or access treads.
- Décor: Floor dark wood, no markings; walls wood panelling lower, cream white upper & roof. 4 Dark wood roof trusses.
- Get-in: good, through hall foyer or side area emergency exit, up 3 steps or ramp. 1 set double doors (emergency exit). Approx 15M from van loading area to stage. 1.4M (4’7”) wide x 2.03M (6’8”) high.
- Acoustics good
- Blackout partial – windows have thin blinds, doors have none.
- Heating by radiators. Hall also has separate heaters as shunt dump for excess power from island power grid which can become operational at any point – even hot days.
- No Piano. Smoke Detector in kitchen – can be isolated.
- Small wooden stepladder available.
- Power: 63amp single phase supply in hall foyer. 13amp sockets on 3 x 32amp trips. Supplied by Island grid – entirely green power (solar, wind & hydro power)
- Stage lighting – small LED rig. Chauvet Obey 40 controller, 7 x LEDJ Alu-compact Par Led lights permanently rigged at stage end.
- Small concert PA available. Soundcraft Spirit FX16 mixer, QSC amps, effects rack with graphic EQ, compressor/gate, CD player. Pair of Peavey speakers & bass bins, also 2 wedges. 4 SM58, 3 SM57 & 1 AKG D880 mics + 3 DI boxes, 16 send/4 return multi-core installed.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents or up-lighters – switched at hall entrance.
- No Dressing Rooms – small storeroom could be used off stage right.
- Kitchen/Bar available.
- No separate toilets.