TONGUE VILLAGE HALL
June 1999 Mick Andrew
Address: Tongue Village Hall, Tongue by Lairg, Sutherland IV27 4XL
- Venue is on side road off A838 through Tongue village, as approaching from west. Go through village and take right turn at end and venue is on left hand side of road near school. Car parking on street.
- Built 1950’s/60’s.
- Capacity approx 100 if stage used, up to 60 if performing on floor. Inter-locking stacking chairs.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone in village opposite bank (15 mins walk).
- Tongue has Hotels, general store & Post Office, limited hours bank. Nearest cashpoint at Durness (28 miles). Petrol at Bettyhill (11 miles). Banks & other services at Thurso (42 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 6.02M (19’9”) wide x 15.65M (51’4”) long. Height at side walls 2.59M (8’6”) rising to 3.56M (11’8”) over centre. Roof trusses slightly obstruct height at sides.
- Stage: 4.09M (13’5”) wide x 2.41M (7’11”) deep. Stage can be extended by 0.66M (2’2”) making total depth of 3.07M (10’1”) possible. Height of proscenium 2.69M (8’10”), height of stage approx 0.61M (2’). No wing stage left, stage right wing 1.02M (3’4”). No crossover. Access treads at back of stage left.
- Décor: floor polished wood, no markings; walls darkish green lower, white upper; roof tiles white. Stage FOH tabs red, stage back wall white.
- Get-in: through hall main entrance. 6 steps, 2 sets double doors, straight into hall. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage. 1.35M (4’5”) wide x 2.06M (6’9”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout reasonable – all windows have blinds but not total blackout.
- Heating by wall-mounted panel heaters.
- No piano. No smoke detectors seen.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 60amp 2-phase incomer located in cupboard off kitchen.
- Stage lighting by domestic pin spots (non-dim).
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents in ceiling panels, switched at hall entrance.
- 1 dressing room backstage.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet.