BALLATER VICTORIA & ALBERT HALLS
Apr 2010 Mick Andrew
Address: Victoria & Albert Halls Trust, Station Square, Ballater, Aberdeenshire AB35 5QB www.victoriaandalberthalls.co.uk/
– Venue is in centre of the town opposite the old railway station
just off the main A93 road on the north side. Car parking in
square outside hall.
- Built as public hall in 1895
- Capacity up to 200 if stage used, approx 150 if performing on floor. Plastic, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception good. Payphone outside hall.
- Ballater has bank, cashpoint, petrol, shops, hotels and cafes.
Hall Details – Victoria Hall
– Hall Dimensions: 14.5M (47’7”) long x 10M (32’10”) wide. Height above approx 6M (19’8”) at side walls rising to 10M (32’10”) in centre (arched roof).
- Stage: Proscenium opening 6.9M (22’8”) wide x 3.6M (11’10”) high, stage depth 4.5M (14’9”). Height of stage 1M (3’3”). Wings 1.6M (5’3”) both sides. No crossover, 5- step portable access treads.
- Décor: floor polished wood with Badminton court markings; walls wood panelling lower, white upper; roof wood panelled. Stage FOH tabs red.
- Get-in: through front doors, slight ramp outside, 2 double doors straight into hall 1.5M (4’11”) wide x 2.55M (8’4”) high. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics slightly reverberant.
- Blackout reasonable – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by red-glow wall mounted heaters
- Upright piano on stage. No smoke detectors.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp single-phase incomer, 13amp sockets on 32amp ring main.
- No stage lighting.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched hanging sodium lights, switched from hall entrance.
- Can use supper room upstairs as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.
- Refreshments & bar can be arranged.
Albert Hall (upstairs) – 10.1M wide x 13.12M long including stage. Approx 100 capacity. No lighting or sound equipment. Red-glow heaters.