ULLAPOOL VILLAGE HALL
Dec 2001 Mick Andrew
Address: Ullapool Village Hall, 24 Market St, Ullapool, Ross-shire IV26 2XE.
- Venue is on north side of Market St in centre of village uphill from shore. Car park at rear or parking on street.
- Built originally around 1843 as school, and became the village hall in 1929. Enlarged in 1970’s and extensively refurbished in 2000.
- Capacity up to 160 if stage used (250 if standing), approx 80 if performing on floor. Interlocking, stacking padded & plastic chairs.
- Mobile reception good.
- Ullapool has most services.
- Hall Dimensions: 6.32M (20’9”) wide at narrowest point x 16.54M (54’3”) long. Hall has side area extension by stage but pillar exists in line with original side walls. Height above 4.65M (15’3”) – flat roof.
- Stage: original stage removed and staging rostra available to fill this area. 4.04M (13’3”) wide x 7.26M (23’10”) deep. Height floor to proscenium 3.61M (11’10”). Topdeck rostra system approx 35 tops @ 0.9M x 0.75M & 0.3M height, to fill this area or can make stage 6M x 3.6M. No wings or crossover. Access treads available.
- Décor: floor polished wood, no markings; walls blue tinged wood panelling lower, white upper; roof white. Curtains and FOH tabs red. Stage area has black walls and roof.
- Get-in: through side fire exit (1 set double doors) straight into hall approx 10M from van to stage area. 1.37M (4’6”) wide x 2.03M (6’8”) high. Parked vehicles may block this access. Access also through hall foyer, 2 sets double doors, flat.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by underfloor system.
- Upright piano available. No smoke detectors in hall but heat detector exists.
- Small set of steps available.
- Power: not seen but assumed to be 100amp 3-phase incomer.
- Portable stage lighting rig – 6 lanterns.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switched at hall entrance.
- Rooms at side of stage could be used as dressing rooms.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet.