COLONSAY VILLAGE HALL
Sept 2005 Mick Andrew
Address: Colonsay Hall, Scalasaig, Isle of Colonsay, Argyll PA61 7YW http://www.spanglefish.com/colonsayvillagehall/index.asp?pageid=352768
- Venue – from pier turn right onto B8087 & venue is approx 200M along on LHS next to shop/Post Office. Car Park available.
- Built 2000
- Capacity approx 200 if stage used, 100 if performing on floor. Padded stacking non-interlocking chairs & plastic stacking interlocking chairs.
- No mobile reception at hall, but possible to get signal nearby – some networks only. Payphone by Hotel (5 mins walk).
- Colonsay has Hotel, cafes, general store & petrol. Banks & other services in Oban (via ferry 2hr 20 mins).
- Hall Dimensions: 14.6M (47’11”) long x 8.38M (27’6”) wide. Width reduces at ‘Glulam’ beams (see photo) – beams are at 2.39M (7’10”) gaps. Height of walls – window-side/hall left 2.59M (8’6”), hall right 4.55M (14’11”), rising to offset apex of approx 7.32M (24’).
- Stage: 5M (16’5”) wide x 3M (9’10”) deep. Height to pros arch 2.64M (8’8”), height of stage 0.91M (3’). Stage formed by rostra sections. No crossover. Access treads off stage left.
- Décor: floor light wood laminate, no markings; walls white; roof light wood, 5 laminate ‘Glulam’ beams. Red stage FOH tabs.
- Get-in: reasonable through foyer, ramp outside, through 2 sets double doors & 90° left turn through 3rd set double doors into hall. Flat. Approx 20M van loading area to stage. 1.6M (5’3”) wide x 2.01M (6’7”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout partial, side windows have curtains made to fit (stored in store room), but no blackout on foyer doors or windows into upstairs office.
- Heating by wall mounted ceramic and convector fan heaters.
- No Piano. 2 smoke detectors, possible to isolate.
- No access equipment seen but assumed to exist.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in halll foyer. Cooker has 40amp trip.
- Small stage lighting rig – Pulsar 6 channel desk, 2 x 3 channel dimmer packs on FOH brackets, 1 x 650w profile spot, 5 x 650w fresnels. 2 FOH lighting brackets only @ 3.45M (11’4”) height near stage (see picture).
- Small PA system – Soundlab VP308D 8-2 mixer amp, 2 Torque Speakers, some mics & 12 send/4 return multicore.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switches at foyer entrance & Stage Left.
- Small backstage room could be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet.