COLVEND PUBLIC HALL
March 2016 Mick Andrew
Address: Colvend Public Hall, Colvend, Dalbeattie, Kirkcudbrightshire DG5 4QD
- Venue is in middle of village on north side of A710 next to shop. Car park at hall.
- Built 1933 with extension added in 1999.
- Capacity up to 150 if stage used. Approx 80 if performing on floor.
- Padded, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception variable. Payphone by shop next door.
- Colvend has general store & café. Banks, cashpoints, petrol, hotels and other services in Dalbeattie (5 miles) or Castle Douglas (10 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 7.57M (24’10”) wide x 15.49M (50’10”) long.
Height at side walls 3.38M (11’1”) rising to approx 6.25M (20’6”) at apex. 6 tie-bars @ 4.22M (13’10”) high.
- Stage: 4.32M (14’2”) wide x 3.1M (10’2”) deep. Height of stage 0.76M (2’6”), height to proscenium 2.34M (7’8”). Wings 0.56M (1’10”) both sides. Crossover behind stage. Access treads (4 steps) both sides up stage, and portable treads available.
- Décor: floor dark wood with Badminton Court markings; walls dark wood lower, cream upper; roof dark wood. FOH tabs maroon. Stage has black drapes on track at sides.
- Get-in: through hall main entrance (3 steps, 2 sets double doors, straight), or emergency exit at back of hall (flat, 1 set double doors). 1.24M (4’1”) wide x 2.11M (6’11”) high. Approx 15M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout reasonable – windows have curtains but windows above emergency exit sliding doors have no covering.
- Heating by wall-mounted ceramic heaters on £1 coin meter.
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- 5-step (aluminium) and 12-step (wooden) ladders available.
- Power: 100amp 2-phase (?) incomer located in entrance lobby. Only 2 twin 13amp sockets in hall. Sockets in side room on £1 coin meter.
- No stage lighting – domestic pin-spots on proscenium arch, small skylights with no blinds above stage.
- Small PA system – Yamaha MG124c 12 channel mixer, Phonic Max500 amp, small wall-mounted ‘Community’ speakers, 31-band graphic EQ, 2 x TOA hand-held radio mics. All equipment in rack stage left.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switches in hall entrance lobby.
- Small side room or backstage room can be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets, though disabled toilet is at side of stage.