SCALPAY COMMUNITY CENTRE
May 1999 Mick Andrew
Address: Scalpay Community Centre, Outend, Scalpay, Isle of Harris HS4 3XU
- Venue is in middle of island by school (closed 2012), by North Harbour Pier Road on right hand side, approx ½ mile from Scalpay Bridge. Car parking at venue.
- Built 1994.
- Capacity approx 100. Plastic, interlocking, stacking chairs.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone beyond schools (2 mins walk).
- There are no services on Scalpay (shop closed in 2007). Most services at Tarbert (7 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 8.15M (26’9”) wide x 14.33M (47’) long. Height at side walls 4.14M (13’7”) rising to 6.6M (21’8”) over centre.
- No Stage or rostra.
- Décor: floor wood laminate with Badminton Court markings; walls lime green breezeblock; roof wood panelled. Open balcony on hall left and wood shutter partition below this.
- Get-in: through fire exit, flat, right angle turn, 2 sets double doors. Approx 20M from van loading area to performing area. 1.22M (4’) wide x 2M (6’7”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- No blackout – 10 skylights and 2 high porthole windows with no blinds.
- Heating by roof-mounted units.
- Piano. Smoke detectors – no information.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in store off kitchen.
- No stage lighting.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are sodium’s switched from café/lounge area.
- Upstairs poolroom and computer room can be used as dressing rooms.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.