BERNERAY COMMUNITY HALL, N. UIST
Oct 2011 Mick Andrew
Address: Berneray Community Hall, Borve, Isle of Berneray, North Uist, Outer Hebrides HS6 5BJ
- Venue is in Borve town-ship – from N.Uist causeway turn right and after ½ mile turn left for Borve and hall is at end of metalled road. Car park at venue.
- Built 1986
- Capacity approx 80 -100 seated (250 standing). Plastic, stacking, inter-locking chairs.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone in hall 01876 540241
- Berneray has a community shop & café and Post Office. Bank & cashpoint, petrol, hotels, mainland ferry and other services at Lochmaddy (11 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 6.71M (22’) wide x 14.12M (46’4”) long. Height at side walls 3M (9’10”) rising to 4.88M (16’) at apex. 5 roof trusses @ 4.22M (13’10”) high. Speaker positions restrict width to 5.49M (18’) at that point – see plan.
- Folding stage: 4.27M (14’) wide x 1.83M (6’) deep & 0.36M (14’) high. No crossover or access treads.
- Décor: floor wood with Badminton Court markings; walls white, roof light wood colour with dark wood roof trusses.
- Get-in: through fire exit at end of hall, single door, flat. Approx 10 M from van loading area to stage 1.07M (3’6”) wide x 1.98M (6’6”) high, OR through hall main entrance, 3 sets double doors & right angle turn. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage 1.02M (3’4”) wide x 2.03M (6’8”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout – partial, 12 skylights have light blinds.
- Heating by electric wall heaters.
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- Straight ladder available.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in cupboard in foyer.
- No stage lighting.
- Small PA – amp & 2 mounted speakers. Other details unknown. Needs to be booked for use.
- Houselights are sodium’s switched at hall entrance.
- Small meeting room can be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.