STRATHDON LONACH HALL
Sept 2008 Mick Andrew
Address: Lonach Hall, Forbestown, Strathdon, Aberdeenshire AB36 8UN
– Venue is in grounds of The Lonach Hotel, 1 mile east of Strathdon
village on north side of A944 road.
- Built as extension to original hall in 1896 and refurbished 1999-2006.
- Capacity approx 150 if performing on floor, up to 250 if stage used. Padded, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception variable, payphone in hall.
- Strathdon has hotels and general store. Banks, cashpoints, petrol and other services in Aboyne (18 miles), Ballater (19 miles) or Alford (19 miles).
– Hall Dimensions: 18.08M (59’3”) long x 11.76M (38’7”) wide. Height at side walls 4.52M (14’10”) rising to approx 7.16M (23’6”) at centre (roof is arched). 6 roof tie-bars @ 4.39M (14’5”) and pendant lights hang to 3.58M (11’9”).
- Stage: 10.21M (33’6”) wide x 3.38M (11’1”) deep. Height of stage 0.91M (3’). No wings or crossover. 6-step treads down to hall on both sides of stage. Also smaller side-on stage.
- Décor: floor polished wood, no markings; walls panelled mahogany stained wood with stags heads, portraits and tartan; roof similar. Curtains are all Forbes tartan.
- Get-in: through double door fire exit straight into hall 1.4M (4’7”) wide x 1.93M (6’4”) high. Approx 20M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics good but slightly reverberant.
- Blackout reasonable – all windows have tartan curtains.
- Heating by oil-fired underfloor system.
- No piano. Smoke detectors in hall.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer with 63amp 3-phase socket in cupboard on stage right side of main stage.
- No stage lighting but domestic spots exist above stage.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched wall uplighters of hanging pendant lights, switched from corridor by stage right side of stage.
- Committee room can be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.
- Small hall upstairs can be used as bar and refreshments can be arranged.