DUNVEGAN COMMUNITY HALL
June 2000 Mick Andrew
Address: Main Street, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye IV55 8WA
- Venue is on east side of A863 road south of shop, museum and main road junction. Car park on opposite side of road.
- Built 1904 with 1980’s sports hall addition
- Capacity approx 80. (Up to 150 in Sports hall). Plastic, stacking inter-locking chairs.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone in hall foyer 01470 521211.
- Dunvegan has a general store, cashpoint, Post Office, café, hotels and petrol. Banks and other services in Portree (22 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: Old hall – 7.37M (24’2”) wide x 16.46M (54’) long. Height at side walls 3.45M (11’4”) rising to 5.26M (17’3”) over centre. Tab track exists at 3.3M (10’10”) height with dark maroon tabs approx 4M from back wall (old hall). Sports hall – 9.55M (31’4”) wide x 20.12M (66’) long. Height at side walls approx 6.1M (20’) rising to approx 7.62M (25’) at apex.
- Staging available: 70 units of 0.75M sq Topdeck rostra at various heights. Can make stage of 6.75M wide x 6M deep approx. Crossover through back storeroom (old hall). Access treads for stage exist.
- Décor: (old hall) floor wood with Badminton Court markings; walls maroon wood panelling lower, light pin upper; roof dark wood panelled. Windows have dark maroon curtains. (New hall) is breezeblock faced with sprung floor.
- Get-in: via hall fire exit 3 steps, 2 single doors 180° turn into hall. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 0.74M (2’5”) wide x 2.03M (6’8”) high.
- Acoustics good (old hall), very reverberant with corrugated steel roof (Sports hall).
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by wall-mounted quartz red-glow heaters, on token meter (tokens available from hallkeeper).
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 200amp 3-phase incomer located in fire exit lobby. 32amp single-phase socket in same location.
- No stage lighting.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are wall spots or switched fluorescents, switched at fire exit. Sodium’s in sports hall.
- Could use store as dressing room, or lounge upstairs.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets.