KILMUIR HALL, NORTH SKYE
June 2018 Mick Andrew
Address: Kilmuir Hall, Uig, Isle of Skye IV51 9WS.
- Venue is on east side of A855 in middle of Kilmuir township, near bus shelter, 5 miles north of Uig. Small car park at venue.
- Built as tweed mill in 1908 and converted to hall in 1964, upgraded recently in 2015.
- Capacity Up to 80 if stage used, 50 if performing on floor. Stacking plastic non-interlocking chairs
- Mobile reception limited or non-existent.
- There are no services at Kilmuir. nearest petrol, hotels, general store at Uig (5 miles). Banks, cashpoints and other services in Portree (21 miles)
- Hall Dimensions: 6.88M (22’7″) wide x 11.58M (38′) long. Height at side walls 2.23M (7’4″) rising to 3.84M (12’7″) at apex. 3 roof trusses and tie beams in hall reducing height to max 2.82M (9’3″).
- Stage: 3.85M (12’7″) wide x 3.08M (10’1″) deep including lip. Height of pros arch 2.03M (6’8″). No crossover. Small wings both sides 1.07M (3’6″). Access treads on stage right only.
- Décor: Floor tile red, no markings; walls tile red lower, cream upper; roof white. FOH tabs maroon red.
- Get-in: either through FOH or via storeroom hall left – double doors along store, right angle turn and up 4 steps into hall. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 1.3M (4’3″) wide x 1.93M (6’4″) high.
- Acoustics good.
- No blackout. 3 windows on hall right.
- Heating by ceiling mounted ceramic heaters and quartz red-glow heaters.
- No piano. Smoke detector in hall, can be isolated.
- Long straight ladder available.
- Power: 60amp 3-phase incomer in stage left wing. Hall sockets on 20amp trips each side. Stage sockets on 32amp trip.
- Stage lighting by 3 track mounted domestic spots.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switches at hall entrance.
- Storeroom could be used as dressing room area.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet in storeroom.
- Cafe area – limited summer opening.