NEW DEER PUBLIC HALL
Apr 2010 Mick Andrew
Address: New Deer Public Hall, Fordyce Terrace, New Deer, Aberdeenshire AB53 6WE. www.facebook.com/NewDeerPublicHall/
– Venue is in middle of village on Church Crescent/Fordyce Terrace
A981 road to Fraserburgh, opposite church and cafe. Car park
across road from venue.
- Built late Victorian era and refurbished in 1962.
- Capacity approx 150 if performing on stage, up to 80 if performing on floor. Metal framed ply, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable, payphone in foyer.
- New Deer has a bank & cashpoint, general store, pub & café. Petrol and hotel at Mintlaw (7 miles). Other services in Peterhead (15 miles) or Fraserburgh (16 miles).
– Hall Dimensions: 15M (49’3”) long x 8.15M (26’9”) wide. Height at side walls 5M (16’5”) rising to 6M(19’8”) at centre (roof is arched).
- Stage: Proscenium opening 6.1M (20’) wide x 3M (9’10”) high, stage depth 4M (13’2’). Height of stage 0.9M (3’). Wings 1M (3’4”) stage right, 1.6M (5’3”) stage left. Crossover behind back drapes. 5-step treads off stage left into small hall/dressing room.
- Décor: floor light wood with badminton court markings; walls dark beige lower, light beige upper; roof cream. Windows and stage have rust red curtains/drapes, stage drapes cream.
- Get-in: up outside fire escape (15 steps) through double doors into store and double doors into hall (not straight) approx 1.3M (4’3”) wide x 2M (6’7”) high. Approx 25M from van loading area to stage. Parking for loading outside adjacent house – needs consideration.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by convector units in corners of hall.
- Upright (old) piano available. Smoke detectors.
- Ladders available.
- Power: Assumed to be 100amp 3-phase incomer in downstairs switch room. 3 x 32amp single phase socket sin stage left wing. Single 13amp socket outlets in hall.
- Stage lighting – 12 channel 2-preset desk, dimmers unseen, 2 x 500w profile spots on FOH perches, line of domestic spots on advance bar, 2 stage 6 circuit LX bars, no details of lanterns.
- Small PA with wall mounted speakers – other details unknown.
- Houselights are switched overhead fluorescents or dimmable wall lights, switched from stage.
- Small hall adjacent to stage can be used as dressing room. Separate toilet off this room.
- Kitchen available.
- Bar and refreshments can be arranged.