PORTMAHOMACK CARNEGIE HALL
May 2015 Mick Andrew
Address: Carnegie Hall & Library, Well St, Portmahomack by Tain, Ross-shire IV20 1YD
- Venue on Well St – turn right off main road in centre of village before harbour. No car park.
- Built 1899 as Library and hall. Modernised and extended in 2007.
- Capacity up to 100 if stage used, 60 – 70 if performing on floor. Stacking padded non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable. Nearest payphone on main road (1 min walk).
- Portmahomack has a General Store/Post Office, pub/hotel, restaurant (seasonal opening only). Banks, cashpoints, petrol and other services in Tain (8 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 10.06M (33’) wide x 12.6M (41’4”) long. Width is reduced to 7.75M (25’5”) over rear 5.59M (18’4”) depth. Height of side walls 4M (13’2”) rising to 5.03M (16’6”) over main area in front of stage. Rear area 3.4M (11’2”) at side walls rising to 3.76M (12’4”).
- Stage: 3.33M (10’11”) wide x 3.05M (10’) deep. Forestage is 4.27M (14’) wide. Height above variable and has a pros arch. Height of stage 0.84M (2’9”). 2 8×4 Steeldeck rostra available. No Crossover. Access treads off SR.
- Décor: floor laminated oak with Badminton Court markings; walls light blue lower, yellow upper and white roof.
- Get-in: via side fire exit, flat, straight, 2 single doors. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 0.7M (2’3”) wide x 2.07M (6’9”) high. Wider (1M) single door via foyer.
- Acoustics good
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by ground heat exchange system.
- Small electric piano available. No smoke detectors in hall
- 8-step stepladder available.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in café/kitchen store.
- Small stage lighting rig – 4 x tempo PC 650 lights on 2 FOH bars. Scene Setter DC1224 12/24 2 channel preset desk, 6 channel non-patchable dimmer.
- Small portable PA available – Phonic 740 7 channel mixer/amp, some mics and CD player.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switches by main entrance.
- No Dressing Rooms but storeroom could be used.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets. Shower in disabled toilet.
- Café during daytime – not daily.