LERWICK GARRISON THEATRE
Oct 2007 Mick Andrew
Address: 2 Market St, Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0JE Tel: 01595 743843 (Shetland Arts) – technical staff available.
- Venue is in town centre opposite Police Station and next to Council Offices. Car parking on street.
- Built 1903/4 as Drill Hall and converted to a theatre in 1942. Refurbished in 1989 & again in 1995/6.
- Capacity 280 fixed padded tip-up seats.
- Mobile reception good.
- Lerwick has all services.
- Stage: 6.68M (21’11”) wide x 6.42M (21’1”) deep (inc apron) to back blacks. Height of proscenium 2.93M (9’7”), height to grid (downstage) 3.65M (11’11”), height of stage approx 0.8M (2’8”). Wings 1M (3’3”) SL, 1.02M (3’4”) SR. Crossover behind back blacks. Access treads off stage right wing at front of stage.
- Décor: stage black box with black dance floor, & black FOH tabs.
- Get-in: from street through stage door (double doors), then single door up 4 steps onto stage. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 1.1M (3’7”) wide x 1.8M (5’11”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout perfect.
- Heating by radiators.
- Grand and upright pianos available. Smoke detectors unknown.
- Ladders available.
- Power: 63amp 3-phase & 63amp single-phase sockets in SL wing.
- Full stage lighting rig – ETC Express 48/96 desk, mix of Strand lanterns, 2 FOH side LX bars, FOH LX gantry & 4 on-stage LX bars. Followspot available.
- Sound rig available – no details.
- Houselights are dimmable roof-lights controlled from stage or control room.
- 2 dressing rooms upstairs.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilets & showers available.