SKERRAY VILLAGE HALL
Jan 2000 Mick Andrew
Address: Skerray Village Hall, Achtoty, Skerray, Tongue, Lairg, Sutherland KW14 7TH
- Venue is on right hand side of road to Skerray from Bettyhill, heading west, beyond phone box in Achtoty. Car park at venue.
- Built post-war.
- Capacity up to 100 if stage used, approx 50 if performing on floor. Padded red, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception patchy. Payphone (3 mins walk away).
- Skerray has a community shop and hotel at Borgie Lodge. Bettyhill has general store, petrol and hotel (7 miles). Nearest cashpoint Durness (37 miles). Banks, and other services in Thurso (39 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 7.32M (24’) wide x 11.43M (37’6”) long. Width reduced to 6.71M (22’) at roof trusses. Height at side walls 3.2M (10’6”), rising to 4.78M (15’8”) at apex. 4 roof trusses @ 3.02M (9’11”).
- Stage: 4.83M (15’10”) wide x 3.07M (10’1”) deep. Height of proscenium 2.46M (8’1”). Height of stage 0.51M (1’8”). No wings. No crossover. Access treads off front of stage both sides.
- Décor: floor old wood; walls & roof off white colour. Roof trusses salmon pink. Stage tabs & window curtains beige floral. Back wall pink with white board.
- Get-in: through hall fire exit. Ramp, 2 single doors with 180º turn, 2.74M (9’) turning circle. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 0.91M (3’) wide x 1.98M (6’6”) high. Is alternative double door exit on other side of hall onto grass, but longer route.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout partial. Windows have thin curtains.
- Heating by bar heaters suspended from roof.
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- Small stepladder available.
- Power: 80amp single-phase incomer behind stage.
- Stage lighting – small batten of lights – switched.
- Small PA system available with microphone – no spec. details.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents – switched in corridor behind stage.
- Backstage area can be used as basic dressing room or could use kitchen.
- Kitchen available.
- Separate backstage toilet with shower.