OBAN, ARGYLLSHIRE GATHERING HALLS
Feb 2014 Mick Andrew
Address: Argyllshire Gathering Halls, Breadalbane St, Oban, Argyll PA34 5PH. 01631 569407
- Venue on Breadalbane St in town centre. No car park, and adjacent street parking on meters.
- Built in late Victorian era.
- Capacity up to 150, stacking padded non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception good.
- Oban has all services.
- Hall (Ballroom) Dimensions: 21.5M (70’6”) long x 12.05M (39’6”) wide. Height at side walls 5M (16’5”) rising to approx 10M (32’10”) at apex. 5 roof trusses @ approx 6.5M (21’4”) height. Balcony overhang centred midway down hall left (entrance side) reduces height to 2.2M (7’3”) – balcony is 1.7M (5’7”) wide x 5.8M (19’) long. Overhead heaters hang off roof trusses @ approx 4.6M (15’1”) height.
- Stage: Small side on stage available 5M (16’5”) x 2M (6’7”) x 0.45M (1’6”) high. Stage is demountable rostra.
- Décor: Floor old light wood, walls white & white wood roof. Roof trusses dark brown. Decorated with shields, stags antlers & flags.
- Get-in: Good, through emergency exit onto Breadalbane St, double doors, 1 step, straight. Approx 15M from van loading to performing area. 1.6M (5’3”) wide x 1.94M (6’4”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- No Blackout. Venue has skylights down one side on sloping roof.
- Heating by overhead bar heaters and moveable electric fan heaters.
- No Piano. No Smoke Detectors
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer to main foyer switch room. 100amp single phase supply to Ballroom switch room. 2 x 32amp 3-phase sockets in kitchen by hall. Only 3 x 13amp sockets in hall on 32amp trip.
- No Stage lighting.
- No Sound equipment.
- Houselights are dimmable chandeliers and switched wall lights. Switches in switch room (small store-room off back of hall near emergency exit.
- No Dressing Rooms. Can use screened off area at end of hall.
- Kitchen & Bar available. Also Bar Lounge.
- No separate toilets.