KELSO TAIT HALL
Feb 2003 Mick Andrew
Address: Tait Hall, Edenside Road, Kelso, Roxburghshire TD5 7BS. Tel: 01573 224233 www.liveborders.org.uk/book/town-halls/
– Venue is east of town centre on south side of Edenside Rd. Car park at
venue. Box office cubicle in foyer. Venue has hall-keeper.
- Built 1933 as Art Deco hall.
- Capacity 604 including 204 padded tip-up seats on fixed rake. Stacking, padded, interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception good, payphone in foyer 01573 224233.
- Kelso has all services.
– Hall Dimensions: 17.4M (57’) wide x 13.2M (43’4”) from stage front to front of seating rake. Height at side walls 5.5M (18’) rising to approx 7M (23’) at centre – roof is arched.
- Stage: proscenium opening 9.75M (32’) wide x 4.3M (14’1”) high. Depth 6.4M (21’) to back blacks, 7.32M (24’) to back wall. 1M stage extension available. Grid is at height of pros arch. Height of stage 1.22M (4’). Wings 2.03M (6’8”) both sides. Crossover behind back blacks, or under stage. Access steps (6 steps) from stage to hall in side corridors.
- Décor: Art Deco hall, floor polished wood, no markings; walls dark brown lower, light & dark cream upper; roof white with maroon mouldings. Curtains gold. Stage floor grey lino covering, black box drapes & rust red FOH tabs.
- Get-in: through FOH foyer, 3 sets doubles doors and up 9 steps into auditorium. 1.22M (4’) wide x 2.08M (6’10”) high. Approx 30M from van loading area to stage. New emergency exit built 2004 on hall right/stage left side of hall up 14 steps and right angle turn through single door into hall, shorter route, approx 12M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics slightly reverberant.
- Blackout good – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by radiators.
- Baby grand piano on stage. No smoke detectors.
- 2 part extending ladder, 3 part Xarges ladder & large A-frame steps, also scaffold tower available.
- Power: 250amp 3-phase incomer & 63amp 3-phase + 4 x 32amp single phase sockets in stage left wing.
- Full stage lighting rig 3-preset 48 channel desk, 48 non-patchable dimmers, 30 x 1Kw profile spots, 12 x 1Kw & 650w fresnels, 16 x floods (1kw & 500w). 4 side LX bars FOH & 3 stage LX bars. Followspot can be arranged.
- Sound TOA 12-2 mixer, TOA amps & speakers & monitors, range of microphones and CD player. All operated from control room at back of hall.
- Houselights are dimmable wall lights and hanging ceiling lights.
- 4 dressing rooms with separate toilets. Showers available.
- Kitchen available.
- Bar area and refreshments can be arranged.