KILCHOAN COMMUNITY CENTRE
July 2002 Mick Andrew
Address: Pier Road, Kilchoan, Acharacle, Argyll PH36 4LJ
Tel: 01972 510711 Venue is staffed.
- Venue is on left hand side of B8007 road from Kilchoan village to the ferry pier approx ¼mle from junction. Car park at venue.
- Built 1998.
- Capacity 150 if stage used, up to 100 if performing on floor. Stacking, plastic, inter-locking chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable. Payphone by church at road junction (2 mins walk).
- Kilchoan has a General Store/Post office & petrol station, café and hotel. Nearest cashpoint at Strontian (27 miles) or Tobermory (by 35 min ferry). Banks and other services at Fort William via Corran Ferry (49 miles) or Tobermory via ferry.
- Hall Dimensions: 8.03M (26’4”) wide x 15.44M (50’8”) long. Height at side walls 4.88M (16’) rising to 6.1M (20’) at apex.
- Stage: 4.93M (16’2”) wide x 3.28M (10’9”) deep. Height of pros 3.35M (11’), height of stage 1.22M (4’). Wings SR 0.81M (2’8”), SL 1.52M (5’). No crossover. Access steps in USL corner to outside corridor – no direct access into hall. Sports fitness equipment stored on stage.
- Décor: floor light wood laminate with various sports court markings; walls lower panelled laminated sterling board, upper white; roof pine clad with dark ‘glulam’ beams. No stage drapes.
- Get-in: through hall emergency exit at back of hall, van access on hard-core surface, double doors straight into hall. Approx 15M from van loading area to stage. 1.6M (5’3”) wide x 2.03M (6’8”) high.
- Acoustics slightly reverberant.
- Blackout good – all skylights have blinds operated by control in foyer.
- Heating by wall-mounted ceramic heaters.
- No piano. Hall has 4 smoke detectors, can be isolated by arrangement.
- Extending 3 –part ladder available & A-frame steps.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in electrics room in foyer.
- No stage lighting – only domestic style spots.
- Small sound rig – Carlsboro 6 input mixer/amp (club style), 2 Carlsboro 150w speakers & 1 mic & stand.
- Houselights are switched wall up-lighters or halogen floods. Switches in foyer by hall entrance.
- Lounge/Games room can be used as dressing room.
- Kitchen available
- No separate toilets.
- Café with variable opening times