ARBUTHNOTT HALL & GRASSIC GIBBON CENTRE
Apr 2003 Mick Andrew
Address: Grassic Gibbon Centre, Arbuthnott, Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire AB30 1PB Tel: 01561 361668 www.grassicgibbon.com/facilities/
– Venue is on north side of B967 Inverbervie – Laurencekirk road
just east of village. Car parking at venue. Visitor centre is staffed.
- Built 1919 and adapted as visitor centre with extension and refurbished in 1992.
- Capacity approx 100 if stage used, up to 60 if performing on floor. Plastic, stacking non-interlocking chairs and benches.
- Mobile reception limited, payphone in visitor centre foyer.
- There are no services in Arbuthnott. Hotels, cafes, general store & cashpoint in Inverbervie (3 miles). Banks, petrol and other services in Stonehaven (14 miles).
– Hall Dimensions: 12.07M (39’7”) long x 7.44M (24’5”) wide. Height at side walls 3.25M (10’8”) rising to approx 7M (23’) in centre. 3 roof trusses @ 3.8M (12’6”).
- Stage: Proscenium opening 4.75M (15’7”) wide x 2.42M (7’11”) high rising to 2.8M (9’2”) in centre (curved arch). Depth 3.1M (10’2”). Height of stage 0.91M (3’). No wings, crossover possible through back store room & steps. No treads to hall but 2 step access either side of stage.
- Décor: floor polished wood, no markings; walls dark wood panelled lower, white upper; roof pine panelled. Stage has red FOH tabs.
- Get-in: Through main hall fire exit, up 4 steps through 2 single doors into hall 1M (3’3”) wide x 1.97M (6’6”) high. Ramped access via visitor centre. Approx 15M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout reasonable – all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by wall mounted ceramic heaters.
- Upright piano at floor level. No smoke detectors.
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp single-phase incomer in corridor on stage right. Ring main on 32amp trip.
- No stage lighting but dimmable domestic spots on stage.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are hanging pendants switched from hall entrance.
- Can use meeting room near stage as dressing room.
- Kitchen available when not in use as café.
- No separate toilets.
- Café in visitor centre, open during centre opening hours (March – October).