THURSO OLD MILL THEATRE
Oct 2002 Mick Andrew
Address: Mill Theatre, Millbank Road, Thurso, Caithness KW14 8PS
Tel: 01847 893572
- Venue is on a lane off Millbank Road, south-east of town centre, turn from A9 before supermarket, as approaching from south – near river. Car park at venue.
- Built late C18th/early C19th and converted into current theatre in 1988.
- Capacity 88 fixed tip-up padded seats on rake.
- Mobile reception good.
- Thurso has all services.
- Stage: On flat – 6.17M (20’3”) wide x 4.72M (15’6”) deep. Height at side walls 3.76M (12’4”) rising to 4.39M (14’5”) at roof beams. No wings. Crossover through workshop behind stage. Stage has overhead scaffold bar rig.
- Décor: floor wood covered by hardboard (grey); stage area has pale grey walls with black tabs on tab-track. Roof black.
- Get-in: through emergency exit on stage left. 7 steps or up disabled access ramp, through wide single door into space. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage. 1.07M (3’6”) wide x 1.9M (6’3”) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout good.
- Heating by overhead bar heaters.
- Yamaha Clavinova available. No smoke detectors.
- Extending ladder available.
- Power:100amp 3-phase incomer in backstage workshop. 2 x 32amp single-phase sockets (both on single 30amp trip) in workshop behind stage right.
- Full stage lighting rig – Strand LBX 48 channel desk, 24 channels Act 6 dimmers, 35 circuits on rig. Mix of strand profile spots, fresnels, floods and follow-spot.
- Small sound system – 80w mixer/amp, 2 speakers, CD, mini-disc and some microphones.
- Houselights are dimmable spots operated from control room
- Dressing room available upstairs.
- Separate backstage toilets.
- Bar/café area downstairs – open for shows only.