MELROSE CORN EXCHANGE
Feb 2003 Mick Andrew
Address: Corn Exchange, 12 Market Square, Melrose, Selkirkshire TD6 9PN. Tel: 01896 822463 www.liveborders.org.uk/book/town-halls/
– Venue is in town centre on Market Place next to library. Car
parking on street or nearby car parks. Venue has hall-keeper.
– Built 1862 and refurbished late 1970’s.
- Capacity approx 250 if stage used, up to 150 if perform on floor. Padded fold-flat interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception good, payphone in lobby 01896 822643.
- Melrose has most services, other facilities in Galashiels (3 miles).
– Hall Dimensions: 9.4M (30’10”) wide x 16.55M (54’4”) long to stage extension. Height above approx 6.1M (20’) with slight wall overhang along sides.
- Stage: Proscenium opening 6.5M (21’4”) wide x 3.7M (12’2”) high. Depth 5.29M (17’4”) to back wall which extends to 6.5M (21’4”) with extension. Height of stage 1.07M (3’6”), grid height is same as pros arch height. Wings stage left 0.91M (3’), stage right 1.37M (4’6”). Crossover behind back wall. Portable access treads (6 steps) for front of stage.
- Décor: floor polished wood with badminton court markings; walls panelled dark & light cream lower, white acoustic panels upper; roof cream with skylights.
- Get-in: through FOH entrance off Market Square, 3 sets double doors, straight & flat 1.27M (4’2”) wide x 2.04M (6’8”) high. Approx 25M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics reasonable but acoustic panels deaden the sound.
- No blackout due to skylights in roof.
- Heating by wall convector heaters.
- Upright piano at floor level. 2 smoke detectors in hall.
- 3-part Xarges ladder and A-frame steps, also scaff tower available if arranged through council for access to FOH LX bars.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer & 4 x 32amp single phase sockets (feed house dimmers) in stage left wing.
- Stage lighting Strand 2-preset 24 channel desk, 24 patchable dimmers & 48 circuits in rig. 4 x 1Kw & 6 x 650w profile spots, 8 x 650w fresnels, 6 x 500w floods. 2 FO LX bars, 3 stage LX bars.
- Sound – Peavey 6 input mixer/amp, 2 Peavey speakers, couple of microphones.
- Houselights are wall uplighters and dimmable rooflights. Switches in stage left wing.
- 2 dressing rooms with separate toilets. Shower upstairs behind stage.
- Kitchen available.