MONIAIVE GLENCAIRN MEMORIAL INSTITUTE
Sept 2018 Mick Andrew
Address: Glencairn Memorial Institute, Chapel St, Moniaive, Dumfries-shire DG3 4EJ
- Venue is on west side of Chapel St (A702) just south of village centre. Car parking on street.
- Built in 1834 as a church, becoming a memorial hall in 1921 and upgraded early 1990’s and again in 2008.
- Capacity up to 180 if stage installed, up to 80 if performing on floor. Padded, stacking, non-interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable. Payphone in village centre (2 mins walk).
- Moniaive has hotels (including one of Scotland’s oldest – 500 years), café, general store + cashpoint with service-charge and petrol. Bank & no charge cashpoint at Thornhill (8 miles), other services at Dumfries (16 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 10.69M (35’1”) wide x 11.2M (36’9”) long. Height at side walls 2.41M (7’11”) rising to 5.44M (17’10”) over centre – roof is arch shaped.
- Portable ‘Stacastage’ table-top staging available makes 4M x 2M @ 0.5M high stage with access treads.
- Décor: floor old wood with Badminton Court markings; walls purple lower, lavender upper; white arched roof, purple at top point.
- Get-in: through main entrance and up 23 stairs with 180° turn – disabled lift available (400Kg max loading) – can’t take items longer than 2M and lift has no side walls so items need to be free-standing. Double doors at ground level, right-angle turn to staircase with 180° turn half-way up & double doors at top into hall. Approx 25M from van loading area to performing area. 1.14M (3’9”) wide x 2.01M (6’7”) high. Largest 2D item possible via stair access is an 8×4 flat.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout reasonable – all windows have blinds.
- Heating by radiators and wall-mounted quartz red-glow heaters.
- No piano. No smoke detectors.
- Small 3-step ladder available.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer in downstairs entrance hall.
- No stage lighting.
- No sound equipment but local PA can be brought in.
- Houselights are switched fluorescents, switches at hall entrance.
- Downstairs Snooker Room can be used as dressing room or use kitchen at hall level.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets – toilets are downstairs.