CLASHMORE, CARNEGIE HALL
Oct 2011 Mick Andrew
Address: Carnegie Hall, Clashmore, Dornoch, Sutherland IV25 3RG.
- Venue is on north side of A949 road, in middle of village up small road by phone box, approx ½mile west from junction with A9. Small car park at hall.
- Built 1907 as hall with library by Andrew Carnegie as part of Skibo Castle estate.
- Capacity 180 max if stage used, approx 130 if performing on floor. Padded, stacking, interlocking chairs.
- Mobile reception reasonable. Payphone outside hall on main road.
- There are no facilities at Clashmore. Most services at Dornoch (4 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 9.04M (29’8”) wide x 19.61M (64’4”) long. Hall has divider @ 6.71M (22’) from back wall. Height at side walls 4.57M (15’) rising to 8.53M (28’) at apex. 7 roof trusses in hall @ approx 5.49M (18’).
- Stage: 6.1M (20’) wide x 4.09M (13’5”) deep with additional 1.52M (5’) depth in centre rear alcove. Height above at sides 3.66M (12’) rising to 6.71M (22’) at centre apex. Height of stage 0.76M (2’6”). No wings. No crossover. Access treads on both sides, up-stage.
- Décor: floor polished wood, no markings; walls dark oak panelling lower, red upper; roof white with dark wood trusses and slats. End wall red. Windows have tartan curtains.
- Get-in: through FOH entrance lobby & corridor. 3 steps, 3 sets double doors, straight. Approx 15M from van loading area to stage. 1.12M (3’8”) wide x 2.13M (7’) high.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout good, all windows have lined curtains.
- Heating by wall-mounted radiators.
- Upright piano available. No smoke detectors
- No access equipment.
- Power: 100amp 3-phase incomer located in hall corridor near FOH lobby. 32amp 3-phase socket on down stage right corner of stage facing. nb all hall 13amp sockets on 20amp trip.
- Small stage lighting rig – Act 6 dimmer with faders, 6 x 650w fresnels on roof truss.
- No sound equipment.
- Houselights are chandeliers switched by steps on stage right.
- 1 small dressing room.
- Kitchen available.
- No separate toilets but access is adjacent to dressing room.