NEW GALLOWAY, THE CATSTRAND
March 2016 Mick Andrew
Address: The CatStrand, High St, New Galloway, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire DG7 3RN Tel: 01644 420374 Venue is staffed.
http://www.catstrand.com/ Wi-Fi available at venue.
- Venue is in village centre on east side of A762 road. Car parking on street.
- Built as school in 1743 and converted to Arts Centre in 2007.
- Max capacity 92 with 76 on retractable seating rake. Extra seats can be added at front.
- Mobile reception limited. Payphone outside venue.
- New Galloway has hotel, general store and post office. Cashpoint in shop at Balmaclellan (1 mile). Bank, petrol at St.John’s Town of Dalry (3 miles). Other services at Castle Douglas (16 miles).
- Hall Dimensions: 6.55M (21’6”) wide x 10.16M (33’4”) long with seats retracted. Height at side walls 3.43M (11’3”) rising to approx 5.79M (19’) at apex. 6 roof trusses @ 3.84M (12’7”).
- Stage area: 6.55M (21’6”) wide x 4.7M (15’5”) deep (if only seating rake in use with no loose seats). Height to LX grid 3.81M (12’6”). Crossover through back corridor.
- Décor: floor wood laminate, no markings; side walls light grey; roof dark green. Stage area has black drape surround on tab track.
- Get-in: through venue foyer, wide single door, through foyer & double doors into performing space. 1.22M (4’) wide x 1.98M (6’6”) high. Approx 10M from van loading area to stage.
- Acoustics good.
- Blackout perfect – skylight has electric blinds.
- Heating by wall-recessed radiators.
- Grand piano available. Smoke detector in performing space – can be isolated.
- 8-step 3-part Zarges ladder available.
- Power: 200amp 3-phase incomer in stage left emergency exit lobby.
- Stage lighting rig – Zero88 12/24 Juggler desk, 12 channel Chiili hard-wired dimmers, 6 x 1200w profile spots (FOH bar), 6 x 1200w fresnels (side LX bars), back LX bar also.
- PA system – Allen & Heath Qu-24 digital mixer, PLX 1804 amps, 4 x Wharfedale SI speakers, 16 channel multi-core to stage, range of mics, stands & DI boxes.
- Projector & screen available. Blu-ray & DVD players.
- Houselights are 4 x dimmable Par56 cans, separate dimmer control at FOH control position and by fire exit, or switched roof-lights.
- Dressing room (Green Room) backstage.
- Kitchen in café – use by arrangement.
- Separate toilet & shower.
- Café open 10am – 5pm & Bar open for events, with gift-shop in foyer.